Trends from the Met Gala: 70s and Florals
The Met Gala always showcases some of the best evening fashion. But the themes and trends from the night’s event aren’t limited only to red-carpet events. In fact, with a little interpretation, they’re perfect for adding some life to your wardrobe!
By far my favorite theme — and the most on trend — was 1970s inspiration. Mary Kate Olsen channeled bohemian vibes with wavy locks and a red, long-sleeve, floor-length Givenchy haute couture gown. Eva Mendes rocked a heavily pleated, one-shoulder Stella McCartney dress that looks like it could’ve come straight out of her stylist Rachel’s Zoe’s closet. Zoe of course, is well known for her 70s, maxi-dress, wide-legged jean affinity. Finally, Cindy Sherman, Consuelo Castiglioni, Anouk Lepere and Giovanni Battaglia round out the bunch as the Marni brigade. All four women donned printed, retro-chic dresses with large, chunky, tribal-inspired jewelry. I am beyond obsessed with Battaglia’s beehive hair and maxi dress!
To get Mary Kate’s look, consider long-sleeved romantic and maxi dresses in soft fabrics such as linen, silk or chiffon, like the one her sister Ashley Olsen wore at an American Apparel charity event last year. For the Marni-inspired, look for abstract prints in simple, loose silhouettes. Nicole Richie’s Mulberry top from Coachella is a perfect example of how to interpret the look casually. Finally, if you’re loving Eva Mendes’ killer pleats, go for crinkles in bright colors and layer them for volume likeAtlantic-Pacific blogger Bee did.
- Free People Monarch Wings Dress — $138
- Free People Daydream Crinkle Maxi Dress — $169
- Madewell Skywriter Novella Dress — $158
- ASOS REVIVE Fan Print Batwing Dress — $134.48
- Urban Outfitters Sparkle and Fade Accordion Pleat Halter Top — $14.99
- ASOS REVIVE Split Sleeve Pleated Shirt — $71.72
- ASOS Premium Pleated Midi Skirt — $71.72
Florals, a staple for spring, are an unusual evening choice but their prevalence at the Met Gala only prove how popular they are once again. This year, however, look for small floral clusters, like Kirsten Dunst in Chanel Haute Couture or Malgosia Bella in Nina Ricci. Alternatively, go for large-sized florals like Sofia Vergara (Carolina Herrera), Kyleigh Kuhn (Erdem) or Emma Stone (Lanvin).
- ASOS River Island One Shoulder Floral Kimono Dress — $71.70
- American Apparel The Patterned Polyester Spandex Malibu Swimsuit —$45
- Piperlime Lush Floral Tiered Dress — $49
- Ann Taylor Loft Watercolor Floral Print Pencil Skirt — $69.50
- Forever 21 Floral Print Blouson Tunic — $22.80
- Arden B High Waist Floral Skirt — $29.99
- ASOS Floral Printed Cropped Sweater — $62.76