Fall Sweater Must-Haves
Even though it’s still swelteringly hot in some parts of the country, it never really warmed up in San Francisco, making it easy to transition into fall thinking. And it’s funny to say, but I never fully understood the value of a sweater before I moved here. Perfect as an outer or mid-layer, sweaters are my newest obsession. In fact, you’ll often find me stealing my boyfriend’s sweaters, as he has a colorful collection that’s wonderfully oversized on a girl like me.
This year, I’m all about pullover sweaters. While cardigans are great, I love a pullover sweater for its layering prowess. It looks great under a jacket or coat, and a crewneck pullover goes fabulously well with a bib, collar or embellished necklace. I am especially obsessed with two kinds this fall, the first of which being these chunky sweaters. To keep your sweater look contemporary, don’t go for one that’s entirely form-fitting — look for drapey or boxy cuts or go a size or two up to achieve a perfectly casual look. I also love these sharp, citrus-inspired colors, perfect for brightening a winter’s day!
My second sweater obsession this fall is printed sweaters. With a vintage feel, these sweaters have the perfect combination of rustic texture and modern pattern. I love the effect of a print, particularly in the fall and winter when things tend to be solid and drab. This probably has a lot to do with my current obsession with all things Missoni and Proenza Schouler, because I can’t get enough of stripes, prints and patterns right now!
- Urban Outfitters Ecote Cable Stitch Tunic — $69.00
- River Island Boxy Aran Pocket Front Sweater in Orange— $60.34 (I may have to buy this… I’m in love)
- J. Crew Fisherman Sweater in Hthr Moss — $98.00
- Topshop Knitted Guernsey Style Jumper — $76.00 (wonderfully 70s)
- ASOS Textured Stripe Sweater — $68.96
- Elizabeth and James Crew Neck Pullover Sweater — $345.00
- Mike Gonzalez Jane Knit Pullover — $184.00
- Madewell Rustic Lodge Sweater — $85.00
- Joie Johana Fair Isle Sweater in Heather Midnight — $308
- Free People Lost in the Forest Pullover — $108